The 3rd edition of the Alpine Splitfest presented by Burton is happening right now (19th-21st Feb) in Kandersteg, Switzerland. Looks like things are going down well, judging by their Insta feed. It has become one of the biggest splitboarding gatherings in the Europe (the world?) and this year there’s all sorts going on including live music, a big BBQ, a moonlight tour and some new accommodation at the Gemmi Lodge. Kandersteg is a gorgeous spot and the event has some great partners including Burton, Arbor, Jones, Spark R&D and others, who supply a wealth of gear for test. It looks like a cool event.
This spring the Alpine Splitfest are also tagging on a second 4 day event in spring. From the 17th – 20th March 2016 the new Splitfest Explore Camp will be running. This is a chance for more experienced splitters to join a guided group in some of the most remote and beautiful mountains of the Swiss Alps.
The plan is to complete a circular route that starts and finishes in the Val d’Anniviers. The route takes in some big peaks and huge descents of 1000m+. If all goes to plan, the final ride down from the summit of the Bishorn to the village of Zinal will be a whopping 2500m of descent. That’s big.
Clearly a plan like this is subject to weather and snow conditions but even if the route is modified you’re sure to spend some time hiking and riding some amazing terrain. Accommodation is in mountain huts and the price comes in at CHF845. Experience using an axe and crampons is required for this trip and riders will be split into smaller groups each with a guide.
The proposed route looks like this:
EXPLORE CAMP – DAY 1
- Gondola 1 St. Luc – De Roua (950hm)
- Descent 1 De Roua – La Roja (300hm)
- Climb 1 La Roja – Turtmannspitze (750hm 3-4h)
- Descent 2 Turtmannspitze – St. Luc (1400hm)
- Gondola 2 St. Luc – Tignousa (530hm)
- Climb 2 Tignousa – Cabane Bella Tola (150hm 0.5h)
EXPLORE CAMP – DAY 2
- Climb 1 Cabane Bella Tola – Bella Tola (560hm 2-3h)
- Descent Bella Tola – Turtmantal (1000hm)
- Climb 2 Turtmanntal – Turtmannhütte (600hm 4-5h)
EXPLORE CAMP – DAY 3
- Climb 1 Turtmannhütte – Brunegghorn (1200hm 4-5h)
- Descent Brunegghorn – P. 3000msl (700hm)
- Climb 2 P. 3000msl – Cabane Tracuit (250hm 1-2h)
EXPLORE CAMP – DAY 4
- Climb Cabane Tracuit – Bishorn (900hm 4-5h)
- Descent Bishorn – Zinal (2500hm)
There’s more info over at alpinesplitfest.ch along with info on how to sign up for the event.
Explore Camp went down without a hitch – check out some images from the trip right here.